- Working Together for the Shared Dream and Common Development of China and Maldives
- China celebrates 65th anniversary
- Minister Dunya Returns after active engagement at the UN General Assembly
- Our hearts were slaughtered by the attacks on Gaza- President Waheed
- Former President Mohamed Waheed Calls on United Nations Secretary General
- Different areas of Male’ have been inspected by the Police more than 2000 times within the last week
- We do not know how the number of radicals should be disclosed- CP
- “Closer to the People’ activity is so far very successful- Sameer
- Perhaps President did not meet us because he thought we have a political motive- MCSA
- China celebrates 65th anniversary of National Day in Maldives
- STO launches Kruger Coffee
- Police wants to get the best results in Rilwan’s case- Police
- China has realised tremendous achievement in nation building and human development- Ambassador
IFRCS hands over community buildings on Dhuvaafaru
Community buildings on the island Dhuvaafaru of Raa atoll have been handed over to the government according to a news release issued by Internal Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRCS).
The news release stated that the handover of the pre school, primary school, secondary school, auditorium and community administrative building took place in a low-key ceremony held at the Ministry of Planning and National Development on Sunday, 31 August 2008. The five buildings only form a small part of the overall project, taking just USD 4,698,000 of the USD 30,202,000 commitment by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ (IFRC).
Under an agreement signed with the government in May 2005, IFRC committed to support the national recovery and reconstruction plan by funding the construction of 562 houses, an administrative building, a pre school, a primary school, a secondary school, an auditorium, rainwater water collection facilities, a sewer collection and disposal system, a sports facility, road network, electricity supply/distribution network, and a waste management centre on Dhuvaafaru of Raa atoll, the IFRC news release said.
The handover of schools will permit adequate time for the Ministry of Education to fit them out and assign teachers in preparation for the new 2009 school year. Likewise, the administrative building needs to be equipped and functional before the relocation of beneficiary families begins as it will be the hub of information and administration of the new community.
The news release also noted that full inspection of all the 600 houses on Dhuvaafaru , 562 funded by the IFRC and 38 by the government, has been done and rectification of minor defects identified in the process is ongoing. All houses will be fully complete by 31 October 2008.