- We will win 25 seats from the 28- Gasim
- Initiative taken in M. Atoll to reduce pending cases
- Gasim vows to remain as coalition partner as long as the govt abides by the law
- Two taken into Police custody during search of H. Lucky Shade
- Thasmeen and Shahid tried to obstruct MDP govt- Mahloof
- Ilham Ahmed will never betray the religion and the nation- Umar
- Work on Dhangethi harbour will be commenced within the next three months- Ilham
- NSA level meeting on trilateral Maritime Security Cooperation between India, Sri Lanka and Maldives
- Coalition candidates will do nothing to harm the people- Gasim
- Serving the people will be guaranteed by electing Progressive coalition candidates- Ameen
- Minister Nazim calls on Indian PM
- Gasim calls the people to give President Yameen the opportunity to serve them
- Prince William and Kate, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Maldives
IFRCS hands over community buildings on Dhuvaafaru
Community buildings on the island Dhuvaafaru of Raa atoll have been handed over to the government according to a news release issued by Internal Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRCS).
The news release stated that the handover of the pre school, primary school, secondary school, auditorium and community administrative building took place in a low-key ceremony held at the Ministry of Planning and National Development on Sunday, 31 August 2008. The five buildings only form a small part of the overall project, taking just USD 4,698,000 of the USD 30,202,000 commitment by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ (IFRC).
Under an agreement signed with the government in May 2005, IFRC committed to support the national recovery and reconstruction plan by funding the construction of 562 houses, an administrative building, a pre school, a primary school, a secondary school, an auditorium, rainwater water collection facilities, a sewer collection and disposal system, a sports facility, road network, electricity supply/distribution network, and a waste management centre on Dhuvaafaru of Raa atoll, the IFRC news release said.
The handover of schools will permit adequate time for the Ministry of Education to fit them out and assign teachers in preparation for the new 2009 school year. Likewise, the administrative building needs to be equipped and functional before the relocation of beneficiary families begins as it will be the hub of information and administration of the new community.
The news release also noted that full inspection of all the 600 houses on Dhuvaafaru , 562 funded by the IFRC and 38 by the government, has been done and rectification of minor defects identified in the process is ongoing. All houses will be fully complete by 31 October 2008.